About Us

Edmonton's finest tennis club, featuring 7 new Nova-Pro clay courts with lights for evening matchplay, and 3 beach volleyball courts. Members enjoy continuous play for tennis and volleyball. The tennis courts are operated on a drop-in basis for members, so no bookings are required.    
For more information, please contact our office at (780) 431-2085 or email garneau@garneau-tennis.com.

HOURS OF OPERATION:

      •    Monday - Friday from 9am until 10 pm
      •   Saturday & Sunday from 10am until 9pm

Please be advised that hours may change due to weather.

CONTACT LINKS:
For information about memberships, tournament registration, lessons or sponsorship: garneau@garneau-tennis.com

We are located just North of Whyte Avenue on 109 street. The office is located in the City Arts Center building and can be accessed during our regular office hours:                                          


Staff 2017

Beach Volleyball Coordinator and Head Pro:  Jae-Lyn Visscher 
Head Tennis Pro: Matthew Ormandy
Assistant Tennis Pro: Tobiasz Strozyk 
Office Manager: Karina Trkulja
Assistant Office Manager: Emily Kerry 
Office staff: Alex Voutchkov, Marko Misita, Alina Jurca, Samantha Chapman, & Gniewko Strozyk




Board of Directors 2017   
    
 Title        Member Email 
PresidentBryan Sluggett president@garneau-tennis.com
Vice PresidentSebastian Pavlovic vp@garneau-tennis.com
Social and InterclubMariko Wakefield     interclub@garneau-tennis.com
FinancePam Cotter treasurer@garneau-tennis.com
FacilitiesJames Gospodyn facilities@garneau-tennis.com
TournamentsErika Voaklander tournaments@garneau-tennis.com
Volleyball and IT
Kenny Dickie beach@garneau-tennis.com
 Secretary, Communications and PR Jeaneath Sluggett secretary@garneau-tennis.com
 Grants and Casino Evgeny Voutchkov casino@garneau-tennis.com

History
In 1926 Harry Ainlay, principal of the Garneau Public School, convinced the city to allocate a block of land for recreation use, between 83rd and 84th Avenues and 109th and 110th Streets. 
Four shale tennis courts were built on the land, using volunteer labour. The following year a small clubhouse was built, to be used by skaters in the winter and tennis players in the summer. The skating rink was located where the Cafe Select now stands. In 1929 the Garneau Community League Tennis Club was founded. Two additional shale tennis courts were built some time before 1950, and two asphalt courts were added in the 1980s.
The Garneau Community League built a multi-use facility adjacent to the tennis courts in the 1970s. The building included squash and racquetball courts. Unfortunately the league entered a period of financial instability and could not sustain operation of the new building. In 1990, tennis players incorporated the Garneau Tennis Club as a not-for-profit organization, and the operation of the club was made separate from that of the community league. The community league agreed to lease the tennis courts to the club. 
In 1995 the league turned over the multi-use building to the City of Edmonton. The building was occupied for a time by a theatre group, which in 1996 converted the lawn bowling courts to the west of the building into beach volleyball courts. The club became known as the Garneau Tennis and Beach Volleyball Club, although its legal name is still the Garneau Tennis Club.
In 1999 the City of Edmonton proposed moving the City Arts Centre into the now abandoned building. As part of this move, the city proposed to convert the two asphalt tennis courts into additional parking spaces. Only a concerted lobbying effort by the tennis club saved the courts from destruction. The parking lot was instead expanded onto an unused bus loop adjacent to 109th Street. The building was renovated and the new City Arts Centre opened in 2000. The club leases a small office and storage shed in the building, and has use of washroom and shower areas. 
The club has raised a considerable amount of money through biannual casino fundraising activities, and new court lights were installed in May 2016.